Sunday, March 20, 2011

Product review: Guardian Survival Gear emergency survival kit

This winter I had been trapped for 10 hours on the freeway in a ice/snow storm.  This made me realize a stash of food, water & a way to stay warm was lacking in my truck.  In another instance in the last year I came upon a motorcyclist that was injured.  After lending aid, I realized a real lack of a first aid kit in my truck.  With the recent goings on in the World I had been giving more thought for the need of a "Bug Out Kit".  Some call it a BOB (Bug Out Bag) or Survival Kit.  What ever you call it, I found that there was a very real need for one in my truck.  I travel 60 miles round trip to work.  In the occurrence of a natural disaster, I was ill prepared.  Living in the Northwest, there is the very real possibility of volcanoe eruption or earthquake.

I could assemble a bag, but realized starting with an assembled kit worked better for me.  I knew I could add to the bag to fit me personal needs.  I started a search of the net for suppliers comparing price & content.  I found http://www.bugoutkit.com/ & purchased a kit that suited my needs.  Looking around I could have spent more assembling my own kit.  I purchased the "Basic Bug Out Kit".  At $49.95 I felt I really couldn't go wrong.  I placed my order & received it in under a week.


The kit includes the following:
Food and Water:
6 Boxes of Aqua Blox Water Boxes

6 400-Calorie Food Bars
10 Water Purification Tablets - each tablet purifies 1 liter of water

Light and Communication:
Mini Scan Radio with Headphones and Batteries
Rechargeable Squeeze Flashlight - 3 LED flashlight which generates and stores power by squeezing the handle (NO BATTERIES NEEDED)
30 Hour Emergency Candle
5-in-1 Survival Whistle
Box of 50 Waterproof Matches

Bic Style Lighter
Shelter and Warmth:
Emergency Survival Sleeping Bag - Recommended over common "space blankets."
Emergency Poncho

Tools:
16 Function Knife
N95 Respirator Dust Mask

Hygiene and Sanitation:24 Piece Deluxe Hygiene Kit - toothbrush, toothpaste, 9 wetnaps, bar of soap, .34 oz shampoo and conditioner, dental floss pick, .25 oz hand and body lotion, deodorant gel, twin blade razor, 5" black comb, 4 maxipads, shaving cream packet, and washcloth.
3 Tempo Pocket Tissue Packs

First Aid:
42 Piece Pocket First Aid Kit - contains 42 pieces - 10 spot bandages, 10 sheer junior,5 sheer medium, 5 sheer strips, 2 antibacterial, 3 clear strips, 2 fabric strips, 1 extra large, 2 alcohol pads, and 2 gauze pads

Other:Notepad
Pencil
Deck of playing cards for entertainment
Infectious Waste Bag
















16 Function Knife



24 Piece Deluxe Hygiene Kit





6 400-Calorie Food Bars

Rechargeable Squeeze Flashlight

Mini Scan Radio with Headphones and Batteries

30 Hour Emergency Candle

Guardian Survival Gear claims this  kit was designed using advice from experts in the emergency preparedness industry. That it follows guidelines given by government agencies and non-profit preparedness organizations.  All in all it seems to be a well thought out basic kit.  A great foundation for a 1 person kit.  The bag itself is rather inexpensive, but works.  For my purposes it works good.  The design of the back pack shouldn't draw attention inside my truck.  Other than the "survival kit" label, it looks like it could be my Son's school pack.  It comes with a tag attached with the expiration dates for the products in the pack.  It also has a list of items they point out would be beneficial to incorporate into the survival kit.  The list is a nice touch & I will be adding some of the suggested items.

I have to say Guardian Survival Gear has created a great cost effective product.  I'm very happy with the content & thought they put into the kit.  I may have to buy one for the Wife's car too.

No comments:

Post a Comment